Review - Billy Jo by Kimberly Chambers

Billie Jo is a fantastic read, an engrossing story that is very much like a melodramatic rollercoaster ride.

I came across this book at the second hand book store in Notting Hill Gate, brought it for about 50p, as the cover caught my eye and I read the reviews, one likening the author Kimberly Chambers to Martina Cole, well, I’ll just see about that I thought as I happily paid the man at the counter and walked off ever so chuffed.

OK so the story, well, Billie Jo on entering the story is a young girl 15 years old, her father Terry is her knight in shining armour, he’s a true East End gangster, tough as nails some might say, he rolls with his main boy Davey Mullins, and is married to the what he calls the beast, Michelle, who is Billie Jo’s mother, she blames Billie Jo for every bad thing in her life, and despises her daughters relationship with her father.

The book follows young Billie Jo, into becoming a young adult, the changes in her family life, new boyfriends and the madness that comes with them.

I find it difficult to say a lot or as much as I would like to about this book, holding back as I don’t won’t to spoil it for those who haven’t read the book. What I will say is this is one of the best books I have read in ages, and the story, well I loved it, not so much the krays or lock stock and two smoking barrels, but it is gangster it’s own way.

The author has a unique way of writing, that had me bursting to follow on from where I had to stop as my train or bus stop was coming up.

I would recommend this book to those of you who are interested in seeing or reading about a different side of London that you might not read about in the newspaper or see in the news, but it is definitely there, and thriving too, just ask Jimmy the Fish, who, yeah exactly, read the book lol.

No comments: